Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Crochet Progress


I picked out some fabric for mystery quilts yesterday, but didn't have all I needed for anything, got discouraged and didn't take any pics. So I will get back to that later when I am in a better frame of mind. Good news, I got another job! I will be interpreting for Sorenson Communications starting in July. For those of you who don't know what that is, I will be the sign language link between a hearing person's phone call and a Deaf person's video phone call. I am excited to be trained and experience this kind of interpreting since I think this is just about all I haven't done! Well, there are other things, but not a lot. I am also working for a college here but won't get or know my schedule for Fall until a week or two before the semester starts. I am covering one summer class. And I work for an agency too--used to be I ran my own business, but most people in AZ work for an agency, so I put my name in for that too. With any luck there will be plenty of work to pay the bills and have some left over for fabric!
Meanwhile, my crochet class went well last night. This is the cotton yarn I chose for the bag I am doing. It is done with two strands which I have never done, so that took some getting used to. I ripped it all out once in class to try to crochet looser and then again when I got home to try to crochet looser again. It is better, but alot different than some of the gals who don't pull as tight as I do. This piece will be one side of the bag and has a few more inches to grow. I am supposed to manage to keep 40 stitches in each row, and for the love of Pete that isn't as easy as it sounds. So my edges aren't straight and I am adjusting. My trouble comes in on the ends. I will have Michelle (our teacher) work with me specifically on my ends since that is really my only problem. We will be working on the sides of the bag on Thursday...it is a big bag, and I have a way to go!


This piece was a small aqua green square that my Deaf friend Rachel taught me how to do many years ago. Turns out it is a granny square and is double crocheted with a single chain in between. I had completely forgotten how to do this, but now have it and have added on leftover yarn that I had here. I am turning this into an afghan for CJ since I think it was he who wore out the first one. He likes blankets. This one is so relaxing to do since there is very little counting and so it doesn't stress me out!
Well dinner has arrived so I am going to eat before I go to work.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Going round in circles/or squares, is definitely easier than rows. This looks pretty good so far, look forward to keeping up with your progress. Congratulations on the new job, hope it all goes well for you

Sue said...

Congratulations on your new job...I was grinning from ear to ear when I read it. Your crocheting is looking wonderful! I'm still at the I'm gunna teach myself stage...lol

Friends All Around!

I added twenty more blocks to Friends All Around.  It is now big enough to go on the back of the couch for a summer quilt.  I think the top ...