Saturday, February 8, 2014

Review of "The Winter Lands" by Jason Gurley



Several months ago I was lucky enough to be chosen to beta test Jason Gurley's new book "Eleanor" which was a fascinating read!  I cannot wait to reread it when it is published.  I stumbled onto this amazing author because he wrote "Greatfall" which was a Silo Story which I was led to by Hugh Howey's "Wool" serires (which my co-worked Nicole led me to!).  What a happy find for me!

Anyway I had the opportuntity to review the "From the Indie Side" anthology, though I have so far only read the opening story "The Winter Lands"  which was a page turner, I am looking forward to discovering some new to me authors as I read on! 
This anthology of speculative fiction stories is by award-winning independent authors.  It includes short stories from Jason Gurley, Brian Spangler, Kate Danley, Hugh Howey, Ernie Lindsey, Sara Foster, Anne Frasier, Kev Heritage, Susan May, Mel Hearse, Michael Bunker, and Peter Cawdron.  I have only read two of these authors and really look forward to trying out the others.
----------
Here's the official description of Jason Gurley's short story entitled "The Winter Lands":

Jonathan Froestt lives alone in a retirement home. His family is gone. His friends are all dead. For over sixty years, he has been writing a novel, the pages collecting in his apartment in stacks. Nobody has ever read it. Until today.

-----------
Jason Gurley has such a descriptive way of writing, I can visualize his stories as I read them.  This short story was a departure from the end of the world scenario of "Greatfall" but he still captured this elderly man in such a way that I felt like I knew him.  I wanted his story to be heard, I was rooting for him the whole way.  I really encourage you to pick up this anthology and get to reading it, then let me know which story was your favorite.  I need to get back to it and see if each tale was as good as Gurley's!
Jason Gurley's website and blog, has lots more information about his other books and current goings on too. 

1 comment:

Teresa in Music City said...

Thanks Andee! I was able to get both Greatfall and The Indie Side at Kindle - both at great prices! Can't wait to check them out :)

Hodpodge!

On Easter we went to Hannah and Jeremy's.  I got a semi good picture of Hazel and I...she tends to not want to pose when I have makeup o...