Monday, June 2, 2014

Flagstones--A Patriotic Mug Rug!

As I mentioned the other day, I could not resist making another Flagstones block with leftover nine patches from Carolina Crossroads.  It went together super quickly and was really fun to turn into a mug rug!  The pattern is in Bonnie Hunter's column in Quiltmaker March/April 2014. 
 You can really see the quilting on the back.  I chose this fabric because I figured I could use it to quilt.  I just followed the random wavy lines and I will say it is the first thing I have ever quilted that I enjoyed and was perfectly happy with when I was done.  I think the next baby quilt I try to do I may choose a backing that helps me out like this one did!
I even hand bound it which was really relaxing.  I don't usually do that anymore because it aggravates my thumb (and as a sign language interpreter I try to have my hands be pain free!).  Something this small is easy enough to do and reminded me of days gone by when I would hand bind my quilts!
Linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday!

4 comments:

Gina said...

love it. I like the idea of using the backing as a quilting guide. That's never occurred to me before. I might think twice what backings to use now xx

Deb A said...

So pretty! Great idea with the backing.

Moneik said...

Love the backing! I enjoy binding by hand, but only when necessary.

Roslyn said...

Nicely done Angela, I will stick with machine binding though!

Hodpodge!

On Easter we went to Hannah and Jeremy's.  I got a semi good picture of Hazel and I...she tends to not want to pose when I have makeup o...