Sunday, August 30, 2020

City Sampler UFO in Progress!


We met Hannah and Jeremy at the lake walk area and walked around and took pictures of her and them.  She is due in three weeks, we cannot wait!
Kathy and I played some games last night.  Tried out our new Villainous, which we enjoyed and then played Opale.  That one is a fast favorite of ours.



On Tuesday it is our fifteen year anniversary (give or take a year) so I convinced Kathy to buy me this lovely quilt display from FB marketplace for 80 bucks!  Super happy and now I have more room to store quilts!

Kathy has done a few of her Frolic blocks.  She has a bit to go so that he can join in the next Quiltville mystery, but she is liking how this is coming together.






Kathy (and Barb via facetime) helped me to organize the blocks for City Sampler.  What a  doozy of a time that was.  The picture in the book for the layout does not have numbers on the blocks and many of them look alike.  I did not always use the same colors as the book, etc.  Eventually we had piles of blocks.  One missing!  Turned out to be number 97 and I sewed it today.  A few got mixed up and sewn in but I am leaving 86 and 96 in each other's spot as it will not make a difference to move them.

Here are the first four rows with sashing in between.
After all the rows were together I had to add the long sash (still doing that part) and I was facetiming with BJ.  Luckily I mentioned to her that even with pinning I never get my sashings to line up when they are like this since the seams aren't touching due to the sashing in the middle.  She got some of her blocks and demoed for me something that Ros taught her!  You pin like this with the sashing folded up on the blocks you just sewed it to.
Then you open it up and carefully add the row matching the seams to the pins you already have so that they will align!
I opened it up while pinned so you could see that then it will line up right!  It is a bit fiddly, but wow I think these may be the best I have had line up!


So this is my stopping point for tonight...almost half way done with the rows.  Really tickled with how it is all lining up!  




2 comments:

Heather said...

Hey Andee!things are looking great around your new home. You and Kathy seem to be settling in beautifully! Thanks for the min demo on lining up seams at cross-sashing rows. Any chance you could do a good in depth demo on that? I’m very interested in learning this new-to-me technique. Thanks!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hannah is due in 3 weeks? She looks AMAZING!!! It sounds like Kathy got a great deal on your anniversary gift. The glass chest is a lovely display piece. And... Happy Anniversary!

Hodpodge!

On Easter we went to Hannah and Jeremy's.  I got a semi good picture of Hazel and I...she tends to not want to pose when I have makeup o...