Friday, September 20, 2013

Long Overdue--Vacation Quilt Sightings!

 Alien Quilts in Roswell, New Mexico.
 They were in this shop which was the first quilt shop stop of the trip!
 At a gas station at the side of the road on the way to Wisconsin we found an Amish gentleman selling baskets, aprons and QUILTS!
 Way past closing time we found the coolest quilt shop (in a small town with the streets already rolled up) so I made them stop so I could get out and take pictures of all the quilt blocks.  I really wish it would have been open, but just seeing the shop made my day!
My Aunt Nancy, whom we stayed with in Wisconsin, had a cute log cabin quilt at her place.  Each block has a traditional red center and I liked how it looks like spools between blocks!

This picture I got off the internet after glimpsing it on a barn just off the highway in Story County, Iowa.  I was on the lookout for barns the entire time, but we only saw a few!
 This was the next quilt barn we spotted off the highway on the way to Wisconsin.  It is called the Brock Friendship Star and is near Swaledale, Iowa.  We actually got off the highway and drove a little bit to double back to it!
 We spotted this fun Log Cabin at Mill's End (outlet store) in Eau Claire.  I found all kinds of fabric to come home with me while I was there.
 We spent one night at my best friend Monica's house.  We got to sleep under Smith Mountain Morning that I gifted her!
 On the way home we stopped in South Dakota at the 1800's town and spotted some quilts too!




 On the way home we stopped at a random quilt shop and I bought the pattern above.  I thought it looked alot like a drunkard's path quilt and it was pretty!
 I read two quilt books cover to cover..this was one of them.
 We stopped at both these shops too.


2 comments:

Kevin the Quilter said...

Looks like a trip I would enjoy very much! Lots of quilts and NO airplanes!

Leah said...

That quilt shop that was closed is in Halton, Kansas I think. It was one of the shops featured in the latest Quilt Sampler magazine. I was just reading it and recognized the blocks on the front.
Suzi Parron who wrote the Barn Quilt book will be at my guild Monday night! She's working on a second edition of the book and was going to be in the area, so she offered to come to our meeting.
Look like you had a great time on your trip!
leah

Friends All Around!

I added twenty more blocks to Friends All Around.  It is now big enough to go on the back of the couch for a summer quilt.  I think the top ...