Saturday, December 13, 2008

Two Christmas Tablerunners and Aunt Lisa's Hamballs

I had a good time with a little Moda Merry and Bright square pack last night. I made not one but two tablerunner tops in no time!
I was two squares short for the second one so I added in a Christmas fabric I had that sort of (being generous here) went with it to complete them. I need to get backing and finish them!

Before cooking and the sauce!
Today I made Aunt Lisa's Hamballs to take to the work Holiday Party on Thursday. Aunt Lisa and I went to high school together and she was in my wedding back in '88. Because of that she met my uncle who is ten years older than we are and viola...one marriage has lasted anyway. She is the mother of my youngest cousin on my dad's side. Lindy is more than 30 years younger than me! I am the oldest grandchild on both sides. I cooked them all and we sampled them, then I will freeze them and recook on Thursday since I don't really have time to make hamballs during the week (too many final tests to grade this week!) If you are interested in the recipe, it is easy!
Aunt Lisa's Hamballs
1# smoked ham
¾# ground beef or if you can find it just get 3 pounds of ham loaf mix
¾# gound pork
1 cup milk
2 cups crushed wheaties
2 beaten eggs
Sauce: 1¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup vinegar
1T. dry mustard
Pour sauce over balls
Bake at 350 degrees for 1¼ hours. I doubled the recipe so there are lots in the picture! Time to make: 1 hr 45 minutes

CJ called today. Man I miss that kid. Can't believe he is 22 now! Where does the time go? We did a ton of grocery shopping today and used as many coupons as we could...saved 70 bucks YIPEE. Also picked up a few Christmas presents, only have a few more to go which is a good thing because I am robbing Peter to pay Paul (maybe I should make that quilt to remind me of these good times?). We also watched Horton Hears a Who today which was nice to take your mind off any worries you have. Life should be easier all around..don't you agree?

1 comment:

Sue said...

The tops for the table runners are looking good! The recipe for hamballs sounds good...ty for posting it. I look forward to giving it a try. Our kids grow up so fast, don't they? TOO fast I reckon!

*sending you a hug across the pond cuz it sounds like you need one*

Sue
Western Australia

Friends All Around!

I added twenty more blocks to Friends All Around.  It is now big enough to go on the back of the couch for a summer quilt.  I think the top ...