Sunday, November 23, 2014

Rainbows, Sunshine and Geese!

 This morning I spent about an hour laying out the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler blocks!  I used Angela's picture and tried to copy it exactly.  I had holes left over--I am not sure if I didn't make a few of the blocks or if the small picture just made it hard to see for sure what was what.  In the end I moved a few blocks to keep the colors together.  I have lots of churn dashes and an one other leftover block from a Bonnie quilt that was the right size.  I now pinned them in order and am awaiting sashing directions from Angela--though it is gorgeous like this!  I cannot wait for next year's RSC Challenge to see what sampler Angela will be doing or what the plan is!  I wimped out on the blocks I had chosen because they were not coming out to size and I didn't like them.  I may choose another block this year and have been looking at the Reverse Rainbow Starburst block on Flutter Kat's blog.  Bev chose this one for her RSC at Nimble Thimbles and it is super cool!
Linking up with Angela at SoScrappy since this is the last RSC thing I have done this year! 
 We finally got a chance to go to SanTan Mountain Park and try out the trails there.  This is a pay to get in park and the trails are extremely well marked!  BONUS!  We started out on the "easy" LittleLeaf trail, but didn't like that we had to walk through a sand filled wash.  Too hard on the knees, so we doubled back and tried out the Goldmine Trail which is rated moderate!  It was great, challenging for Kathy but doable.  About the time she was ready to turn around we found a bench--I sat her down and kept going for awhile, took pictures and then came back and she was ready for the trip back.  This is the first time we have hiked two days in a row.  (We had to skip last Thursday because I worked late).  I finally have an exercise that I actually enjoy!!!  I also worked out on elliptical and bike earlier today because we were not sure we would be going hiking.  Hoping to lose at least .4 this week so I can hit my 70 pounds!  We weigh on Wednesday this week because of the holiday--so we shall see!
 Back to quilting--I did manage to get my Wild and Goosey block done so I could check in on Quiltville's Open Studio.  Really makes me more accountable to get my one block done and I see lots of folks starting this up or continuing working on it and it is fun to see these geese take flight!
 Here is what I have so far.  Looks far bigger than it is!  Can you believe only five more sleeps til Grand Illusion starts over at Quiltville?  You still have time to join in if you are on the fence.  Bonnie says this one is easier than the last few...come on and join us!

10 comments:

Vireya said...

Everything looks great! So many Wild & Gooseys!

Good luck for the .4.

scraphappy said...

Love how your RSC sampler looks all together. It is so exciting to see all the blocks coming together as the year starts to wind down. I'll have directions for the sashing soon!

Angie said...

Your Sampler blocks look great - looking forward to seeing how you set them all together!

Sewgreen said...

I commented on your quilt over at quiltville! it's so interesting to see people there and in blogland! (since on blogland you don't necessarily know everyones name!)

Scrappy quilter said...

Your sampler quilt is beautiful. Love it.

Teresa in Music City said...

I've always love your Wild and Goosey blocks! Almost done!!!!

Deb A said...

Love Wild and Goosey - Oh no - I really need to tame the three big buckets of scraps.... maybe I need to start making these? Love your RSC sampler.... I hope to start putting mine together next week. I pulled the sashing just need to finalize the setting and have no one home so I can do it. Cleaning today =(. would rather be sewing... Great job on the hiking.... as I go out for my walk like a good girl!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your RSC layout is very neat!! I can't believe how all those blocks look so amazing together .... Great job!!

Nell's Quilts said...

Great job on both projects. Good for you getting so close to meeting your goal. Seventy pounds is a mega accomplishment.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely RSC 2014 quilt and I like the way you have set the blocks. Now your Wild and Goosey is still calling out to me!! I just love it and I have to make one - perhaps I should put this on a list of things to make for next years!

Happy National Quilting Day!

I participated in the National Quilting Day sewalong on the Modern Quilt Studio page.  We sewed Friends all Around.  Here is my first block....