Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Planning the Modern Medallion Quilt!


Pinterest has my board (which I cannot seem to get to fit my page to show you) if you want to see some of my idea for the Modern Medallion Quiltalong.  Research shows that people enjoy having something to look forward to, to plan..I would have to agree.  I am loving all the possibilities!  I am not sure I can get what I want without an actual pattern, but I am sure going to try.  
 On Catbird Quilt Studio I read through the first few parts of the quiltalong.  I KNOW I should go with the easier--follow her Math--pattern and do a 15 inch center.  I loved this star in a star on her site.  And I have my handy dandy block tool which has both the Sawtooth Star (bigger one) and the Ribbon Star (smaller one) and measurements that would work to put the one in the other.  The problem?  The two stars together will be 12.5 inches and not 15 as she suggests.
Then I got a crazy idea to do a Swoon block for the center, but it is 24 inches!  So then I found one at 16 inches and one at 12.5 inches.  
My other center idea is some kind of Mariner's Compass block.  It would be paper pieced and I could add some white space to get it to 15 inches.  
I am pretty sure I am finally going to cut into my Fandango fabric for this quiltalong, which I won a long while back from the very generous Carrie of Miss Rosie's Quilt Company.
So far you can see I am enjoying the planning and dreaming more than anything.  I really have no idea which of these three idea will be my center, but it will be one of them unless I chicken out and just go with one of the 15 inch blocks here which will make my Math life much easier!  

3 comments:

Melanie McNeil said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by Catbird Quilt Studio. Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

Melanie

soscrappy said...

I love the mariners compass center. It is on my someday list.

Gina said...

Love the fabric you've chosen. It'll be stunning. I'm struggling to decide what centre aswell. Too many choices xx

Hodpodge!

On Easter we went to Hannah and Jeremy's.  I got a semi good picture of Hazel and I...she tends to not want to pose when I have makeup o...