Friday, December 18, 2009

Quilt History Block for December and All the Blocks

I made this little fabric bowl at quilt camp and finally got the fringy stuff handsewn on the other night. It is already winging its way to Wisconsin to be my dad's girlfriend Margie's. It is her first Christmas without my dad..I sent her chocolate, a little Packer bag and some homemade dog treats too. I need to finish up a doggie quilt for her, she may just get that in January.
Made the binding from leftover backing and attached it to one of the two NYE Mysteries from last year that Kathy made. Now to hand sew it.

Last night was Quilt History class, I brought cornflake cookies like my great grandma Myrt always made and today I whipped up this propeller block which completes the 12 for 2009! We talked about innovative women from the 30's and one of them was Amelia Earhart so I suspect that is why this block was picked. It whipped up really nicely too!

Here are all twelve of the 2009 blocks...two of them are AWFUL (I am sure you can guess which two!) but overall they are decent. I will make it into a flimsy but not really sure if I will get it quilted at this point..not that crazy for it! I am thinking it needs sashing...anyone have any suggestions for the color or anything? I also have two blocks from 2008 (I joined two months before the year was out that year) and I have one extra umbrella lady block so I could put them in here or on the back just to use them up.
Off to go grocery shopping and run errands...hopefully my next project is Carolina Christmas blocks. I am dying to get back to them!

1 comment:

Sue said...

The bowl is fantastic. Love the black on top. Have you thought about making the 2009 blocks up into a flimsy for the back of a quilt ala Bonny style? She had one on her blog recently.

Friends All Around!

I added twenty more blocks to Friends All Around.  It is now big enough to go on the back of the couch for a summer quilt.  I think the top ...