Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas with the Family--Take Two!

We went to my mom and dad's for our second Christmas celebration..it was different not have my brother, his wife and two boys with us but we hope they are enjoying Costa Rica!  We can't wait to see the pictures and hear the tales of their adventures.  They don't have a very reliable internet there so we haven't heard much so far!
We ate my grandmother's recipe of boiled dinner (which is ham, cabbage, potatoes and carrots, boiled into yummy goodness!) and had Hershey Bar pie for desert along with Snicker's fudge which my sister and I made together. 

I had my mom and sister open their first present early so we could get started on crocheting Packer scarves.  Both of them caught on really fast and by the end of the two days they each had their very own Packer scarf and had it down.  I found a SUPER EASY youtube video entitled "New and Improved Sashay/ Ruffle Scarf pattern by Cre8tion Crochet" that made it easy.  I am at work so I can't access it to add the link right now. (Gotta love being on hold!)

We worked on a puzzle that I got at the dollar store for 60 cents both days we were there (most everyone got into taking a turn) and we finished it up!  Great size for a two day gathering, lol last year's puzzle didn't get too far and after putting it away for a long time I finally got it out and have been working on it, but it still isn't done!  And speaking of puzzles, my favorite sister bought me a cool puzzle for Christmas so I have one to work on when I do get last year's puzzle done!

We were all very spoiled this Christmas--I think everyone was happy with all their goodies, I know I was.  I got lots of quilty goodness, I can hardly wait for time in my quilting studio to play with it all!  My mom even ventured to the fabric store and bought me a pile of red and cream fat quarters...they are gorgeous!  Kathy bought me the block tool that Bonnie Hunter raved about on QuiltCam one day...it looks really cool!  She also got me an autographed copy of "Ring Around the Hexies" by Bonnie and Mickey Depre!  This is my next new project.  I love hand piecing hexies and love Bonnie's blocks, so I need to pick fabrics and get going on at least the hand sewing part!
I also got all kinds of fun stuff for our Packer guest room!  My daughter gifted us several gnomes (to go with the one she got me two years ago) and Coleman's girlfriend Lexie got me several things too (picture frame, light switch cover and a clock) and then Kathy got me the coolest little Rodgers Lego (and I got her a PACKERS in special lettering made from animals) and my mom and dad got me the coolest metal art Packer helmet from Cabo and a large Packer pillow as well as a bottle light with Christmas lights in it for a cool nightlight or mood lighting.  Kathy got a set of two glasses too.  Our Packer room is looking fantastic!  I am now saving up for a futon so we have a guest bed and the room will be set!

I gave my favoite sister Tina the Tobacco Road quilt.  She had admired it several times on facebook and it didn't have a home so it found its way to her.  She couldn't stop gushing about it and took it to her boyfriend's house to show off and everything.  She also got the gnome pillow I made and a Halloween Rock Candy tabletopper (as did my cousin Tara, mom and Tiffany) so she was happy with her haul from me! 
We also played games this Christmas.  Everyone except Coleman got in on Quelf and they really liked it.  We did a lot of laughing since the game is so silly.  We gifted mom Scrabble since she can't find hers (likely in storage) though we didn't get a chance to play it and Kathy got Farkel.  We played that on Christmas day and once we caught on to the rules (and stopped trying to make it work like Yahtzee) we had a good time with it!  It was a really nice couple of days and we are so thankful for all that we have.  Next year we hope to have Hannah, Nathan and Mac come visit for Christmas and we will be even more blessed!  










 Kathy is still working on the hst clue...she is hoping to get them done today so she can get started on the four patches for Celtic Solstice.  The next clue comes out Friday..the weeks just fly by!  I have been trying to visit all the blogs on the linky Bonnie has going and leave comments.  I am so amazed by all the different guesses people have though I chuckle because Bonnie usually has two blocks and the guesses are just one giant block that I have seen so far!



 

No comments:

Friends All Around!

I added twenty more blocks to Friends All Around.  It is now big enough to go on the back of the couch for a summer quilt.  I think the top ...