Friday, January 15, 2021

Grassy Creek Clue F Musings

Grassy Creek's clue five was a doozy for me.  Strings seem to take forever and get kind of boring for me after awhile.  I made a few a few different ways and they were not looking too pretty!  I discovered that I could cut off the tops (since I cut triangles to add on and not squares) with my Essential Triangle Tool.  
Then after sewing the corners on in white I could use the little Quilt in a Day ruler to trim them to look nice...some needed some sliver cutting.  I also realized I really did need to use the scant quarter inch to get them to come out right.
They are all made as of five minutes ago...this picture was from before that but they are looking decent.
I laid out a bunch of stuff to see what my colors would look like.  My blues in this first picture are really light.  I turned those tricky triangles around to see if I preferred it that way.  I do not think I do, though you can see the edges better so...
I tried laying one out with a slightly darker light blue.  I am thinking it will be okay.  I do not think my colors pop enough but they are pretty.
I went ahead and put one inside Ohio star together to see how it looked...now on to the reveal clue.  Plenty left to go!

 

3 comments:

Quiltpiecer said...

I've made string quilts before and enjoyed them. But the Grassy Creek string units with the corner triangles were so time-consuming and not very exciting. I do prefer the strings over plain units but I was still so glad to be finished with them. I love your scrappy look with the blues. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

scraphappy said...

Hang in there! You will be past the tedious part soon. Always worth it in the end.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing how this comes together, Andee!!

Happy National Quilting Day!

I participated in the National Quilting Day sewalong on the Modern Quilt Studio page.  We sewed Friends all Around.  Here is my first block....