Monday, August 10, 2009

RID Convention in Philadelphia, PA

Just got back from five days in Philladelphia, PA. Went to the Reading Market which is so cool! They have a zillion different kinds of food (including Indian which I love) and a farmer's market type place and everything in there. We ate there several days and all of the food was really good.
Right next to our hotel was the Hard Rock Cafe and we ate there one day, I was not really impressed with the food there but the atmosphere was really nice.

Hannah, Lori and I rode on a horse and buggy thing all around Philly and got a cool tour.

We also saw the Liberty Bell which was really exciting to see. This was my favorite sightseeing type thing we did.

This was a cool building and I believe this is the one the Liberty Bell used to ring in.
The conference was decent, I learned some new stuff and loved seeing so many people using American Sign Language in one place. It was like being in a different world for a week! I saw a CODA comedian who was amazing and some song performances about the history of RID that I will not soon forget. I flew back on my birthday (hello 40) and got awful news that my dad's cancer is back and all over. Needless to say birthday kind of sucked, but that is how it goes sometimes. Kathy and Randy tried to cheer me by taking me out to the Claim Jumper for dinner, but half way through I realized that my son will most likely never see my dad again and that really got me. I am planning a trip back to Wisconsin to see my dad though it will be short since work is about to get rolling for me. Life should be easier.
I have been trying to think of things to cheer my dad and make me feel like I am doing something when there is really nothing I can do....I am gathering pictures and scanning them to put on a digital frame to give to my dad and I also wrote out a list of "Thank you's" to my dad for the many, many things he has done for me or given me. The list is good and reminded me of so many good times and the generosity of my father. If anyone has any suggestions for things to do for someone who is terminal please send them on...any good books for him or I to read, etc. I was trying to decide if he would like "The Last Lecture" or "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" etc. but not sure if that would just be more depressing. So advice is welcome. My sister and I are nowhere ready to lose our dad and I think it is hard for him to leave us knowing that so we need to find a way to get ready--he is going sooner than we would like.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Andee,
I am so glad you had a great trip to Philly. I was there many years ago an enjoyed all the site seeing.

I am so sad to hear about your father, with your age I am sure he is much too young to leave this earth. I do hope you are able to get back to WI to see your Dad even if it is just for a few days. It would be nice if you and your son could make a "memory" CD,tape etc. that your Dad could play. It would help him "feel" closer to you when you can not be near him.

It is too bad that you have such an important job that just not everyone can do for you. My dh took family leave to be with his father during his last days. DH talks about that often and how he would not trade those days for anything. Call your Dad often and send him little reminders of your love.

Hodpodge!

On Easter we went to Hannah and Jeremy's.  I got a semi good picture of Hazel and I...she tends to not want to pose when I have makeup o...